I love soup. To an (almost) extreme degree. I could eat it all year round. Luckily, it is still cool out so this is still a nice way to warm up for lunch or dinner!
No dairy, all clean/primal/Paleo approved! For my vegetarian and vegan friends, you can absolutely make it without the bacon and use vegetable broth instead of chicken.
It can be made in a crock pot on whatever heat setting you have time for but my favorite way to make it is stovetop then blending
it smooth with my hand mixer or you can blend it in a blender or food processor in batches. In the slow cooker, I feel like the sweet potato gets "stringy" and I have a texture issue with that, but see what you think!
*4 large sweet potatoes, in large cubes
*3 carrots, sliced
*1 medium yellow onion, diced
*2 cloves garlic, diced or pressed
*6 cups organic chicken stock (or enough to fill stockpot)
*1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened (for the "creamy" consistency of traditional potato soup)
*4 strips bacon, Cooked and crumbled
*1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
*sea salt and ground black pepper to taste, a few sprinkles of cayenne pepper (I also like 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe's as well)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. ***
2. Arrange cubes of sweet potato on a foil lined and greased baking sheet (coconut oil spray is best) and bake for 25 minutes (keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn!)
3. Cook all other ingredients together in large soup pot, except bacon and sweet potatoes, until tender.
4. Once the potatoes are done baking, put them in with the other ingredients and continue cooking at medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
4. Mash the soup for a chunky consistency or, my personal preference, blend it in a blender or food processor and sprinkle with bacon.
If cooking in a slow cooker, combine all ingredients except bacon and set to whatever setting you have time for but I think the best time setting is on high, as I noticed the time I put it on a low/long time setting, the soup separated and the potatoes got stringy. Top with crumbled bacon.