Chipotle Steak with Wehani Rice
Originally written by Matthew Kadey, M.S., R.D., in Runner's World magazine of May 2015, this recipe features Wehani rice, which smells like buttery popcorn as it cooks (1) It can also take up to an hour to cook so it might be wise to make a big batch and freeze leftovers for quick meals in the future.
Cook Your Rice:
1 cup Wehani rice (3 cups cooked)
Prep Your Toppings:
1 pound top sirloin steak, broiled and thinly sliced **
2 red bell peppers, sliced and sautéed
2 cups corn kernels, cooked
1/2 cup sour cream/plain Greek Yogurt/vegan mayonnaise
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Chopped cilantro or toasted pumpkin seeds
**Broiling your steak:
1. Adjust your top rack so that your steak will be about 4 inches from the heat source in your oven.
2. Set the oven to "broil" and preheat to 350 degrees F.
3. Here's a little cooking tip from WikiHow--
"If you like your steak cooked past medium, a good trick is to let the steak come to room temp, then stick it in the freezer while the oven preheats. The 5-10 min in the freezer before hitting the oven allows the outside of the steak to cook a little slower, allowing you to cook the interior to well without overcooking the exterior of the steak." (2)
4. Prepare your broiling pan with cooking spray. If you don't have one, you can use a baking sheet lined with foil or use a cast iron skillet. Broiling pans work best with beef because it drains the fat away from the meat, keeping the edges from burning. Otherwise, just move the steak to another area of the pan when you flip it during cooking
5. Typically it's about 3 to 4 minutes on each side but, depending on the cut and thickness, the cook time might vary so keep an eye on it and ALWAYS use oven mitts and tongs when flipping the steak especially since it is only a few inches from the broiler!
6. Once done, remove from the oven and slice thinly
1. Kadey, Matthew. "Beyond White Rice." Runner's World May. 2015: 50-51. Print.
2. "How To Broil Steaks: 8 Steps." WikiHow. 24 April 2015. http://www.wikihow.com/Broil-Steak