Look at that. Look at it. All those mushrooms and noodles and creamy dreaminess...
It's so good too. Like, really really good, if I may say so myself and, on top of amazing taste, it's really hassle free and pretty quick to make too, making it a common dinner on our busy Monday nights.
When I grew up on this dish, it was made with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, lots of sour cream and beef--either ground or cubed--but just because I don't eat any of those things anymore doesn't mean that I can't still have my childhood comfort food favorites! To be honest, I think this tastes far better than anything I had growing up and it was one of The Brit's favorite comfort food dinners too so I think we've got a winner.
It's vegan but easily converts to being non-vegan for my carnivore friends. Sub zucchini noodles and it's paleo for my grain-free friends! Easy!
**I don't measure anything so all measurements are a close guess!**
1. Ribbon noodles of your choice--I use Trader Joe's organic brown rice and quinoa fusilli but pappardelle or zucchini ribbons work too!
2. 2 containers of baby Bella/Cremini mushrooms, washed and sliced
3. 1 tablespoon liquid aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
4. 3/4 tablespoon lemon juice
5. A whole lotta dried thyme (about 2 or 3 tablespoons)
6. 1 small white onion, chopped
7. 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
8. 3 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
9. 3/4 cup coconut or almond milk
10. 3 or 4 cranks of fresh ground black pepper
11. Half can of tomato sauce
Optional ingredients you don't HAVE TO have but it'd be a whole lot cooler if you did:
*1/2 cup red wine (I just dump a big splash in but be careful!)
*vegan cream cheese/sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (if you use any of these you WILL NOT need the coconut milk from above!)
*1 teaspoon dried sage
1. In large pot, start boiling your water for your noodles and cook them to package directions while cooking your mushroom sauce
2. In a large saucepan or skillet, cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil on medium-low heat until onion softens
3. Add sliced mushrooms, lemon juice, liquid aminos/soy sauce, tomato sauce, thyme and sage (if using). Stir the ingredients together and simmer
4. Add 2 large tablespoons of cream cheese or sour cream OR large splash of dairy-free milk. And add the red wine, if using.
5. Add pasta to the sauce along with the black pepper. You can always add more ingredients to your taste (sometimes I add more red wine....😉🍷)
Serves 4 to 6 and takes less than 30 minutes to make.